- Are you aged between 14 and 19?
- Do you have personal experience of hearing voices?
- Do you enjoy being creative and sharing your thoughts, opinions and experiences?
In April 2016 Wellcome Collection will open an exhibition called ‘This is a Voice’. It looks at the idea of ‘voice’ from lots of different angles – sound, identity, body, psychology and culture. It’s not just about ‘hearing voices’, but it’s an excellent opportunity to really show people what it can feel like to experience hearing voices as a young person.
Voice Collective are working with Wellcome Collection’s Youth Programme to offer a group of young people with personal experience of voice hearing the chance to work on a group piece that will be displayed in their exhibition alongside other artworks and historical objects. Individual work will also be put on display in the Wellcome Collection’s youth studio.
- The project is free for all participants and should be lots of fun
- The project will be led by professional artist Hannah Hull
- The project will run for six Saturday workshops between February and March 2016
- There are 12 places available and you’ll need to complete a short application
- Your travel costs will be covered and you’ll be given lunch during the workshops
- This project is an excellent opportunity to really show people what it can feel like to experience hearing voices as a young person. It will also help build practical, creative and social skills, and enhance your CV and college and university applications.
What is the Wellcome Collection?
The Wellcome Collection is an art gallery and museum in central London which puts on a range of exhibitions and events that explore what it means to be human.
What is the Youth Programme?
The Youth Programme works with school, youth and community groups to encourage engagement with our objects and displays. Their age range is 14 – 19 and they also work with teachers and youth organisations.
How can I find out more?
Saturday 16 Januray 2016: Open Info Day & Creative Consultation
11am – 1pm Wellcome Collection, 183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE
Come along to meet us and find out more! This is a creative consultation for you to learn about the project, meet the artist, and help with project planning. Even if you can’t make the date, you’re still welcome to take part in the project.
How do I apply to take part?
- Please download the Wellcome Collection Project Application Form and Application Form, save as a new file, and return it to Voice Collective by email.
You can also send it to us by post at: Voice Collective, Mind in Camden, Barnes House, 9-15 Camden Road, London, NW1 9LQ.
- Confirm you can attend the dates
We would love it if you can make all of these dates, but if you can’t commit to all days or are not sure yet, please do still get in touch and we can talk about it! Each workshop will run 11am – 5pm:
Saturday 13 February 2016
Friday 19 February 2016
Saturday 20 February 2016
Saturday 5 March 2016
Saturday 12 March 2016
Saturday 19 March 2016
Wednesday 13 April 2016 (Attend private view of ‘This is a Voice’ exhibition)
For any queries about this project, please contact Voice Collective by email.