Featuring: Dolly Sen
The London Hearing Voices Network (LHVN) will be holding the fourth London-wide networking event for group facilitators (past and present), LHVN trainees, and group members who are interested in getting more involved in the network. Colleagues from Voice Collective, the London Hearing Voices Prisons project and the Paranoia Groups are also invited to attend.
This event provides an opportunity to meet other facilitators throughout London, link up with other groups, and share good practice around setting up and sustaining Hearing Voices Groups. Items for discussion include:
- Featured presentation: ‘The Outsider’ – a short film by Dolly Sen – followed by a presentation by Dolly herself and discussion. Dolly is a writer, director, artist, film-maker, poet, performer, raconteur, playwright, mental health consultant, music-maker and public speaker. Since her much-acclaimed book The World is Full of Laughter was published by Chipmunka in 2002, she has written three further books, had a succession of performance roles around Europe and in places like The Young Vic, Trafalgar Square and The Royal Festival Hall, completed a poetry tour and won a poetry award from Andrew Motion, directed two plays and several films, appeared on TV, and taken part in a spoken word at City Hall and Oxford University.
- Project News (including the development of the prison project – LVHN are looking for experienced voice-hearer facilitators interested in volunteering to help with these groups)
- Network news (feel free to bring any news items you’d like to share with the network)
- Successes and challenges (feedback from groups around things that have worked well, and things that are difficult – a chance for you to share experiences)
- Problem-solving (a chance to think through common issues that would benefit from deeper thought. This may include anything from keeping hearing voices groups funded and secure in the current climate, to creating a group that encourages people to take ownership of it.)
- Networking: Plenty of time to socialise and network with other members of LHVN.
The meeting will take place on 2 July 2013, 1.30pm – 4.30pm, at Mind in Camden Crossfields Centre, 8 Fairhazel Gdns, London, NW6 3SG. As space is limited, please book your place in advance by emailing John Wetherell or calling LHVN on 020 7625 9042 option 3. Be sure to include your name, the group you are attached to (if relevant) and the names of any group members who would like to attend.
For help finding the venue, please see this map.